Thursday, July 07, 2005

If only...

The envelope stared me in the face, brown and curled at its scalloped edges. I stared disbelievingly at the faded address scrawled across the surface in smeared blue ink. I recognised the handwriting. The hastily scribbled letters that were unmistakably hers.


It couldn't be...

I took a deep breath as I ripped open the weather-beaten envelope, not sure what to expect. A few photographs slipped out from within the folded sheets. I couldn’t bring myself to look at it…not yet. I picked the letter instead and unfolded the sheets.

Tuesday, 5th Jan, 2003, it read. Two months before she died. I felt an overpowering feeling of guilt take over as I braced myself for what lay ahead. Swallowing hard, I began reading her five-page letter.

The memories rushed back, bringing with it the heart-wrenching pain of losing someone you love. Her letters were always long, filled with details, complete with illustrations and doodles. Underlined sentences and different-coloured ink that reflected her mood.

There was no escaping the pain.

She spoke about her dreams, her plans to take a break from studies and go abroad for work. She wanted to travel, "experience what the world had to offer her".

She was only 22...

She asked me about my plans and chided me for not keeping in touch.


Girl, you should start connecting with the world again, she said.
Would you have called me if I had not written to you? she asked.
Why don’t you keep in touch?
Right now, I just want to talk someone, she had scribbled.

She sounded disturbed, like she was looking for some direction and had turned to me for help.

Could I have helped her out?

A horrible sense of guilt gripped me as I read on, unable to hold back the tears.

Have you changed? she asked.
I don’t know why, but I feel you’ve gone far away, she said. Her letters were shaky.

Had she been crying?

I couldn't go on. I picked up the photographs, its yellowing edges reminding me of how long we had been friends. Seven, long years….She had sent pictures of us in boarding school, sneaking in noodles for our midnight feasts, posing in our favourite David Duchovny T-shirts…memories that had been captured forever.

I was pulled back into an ocean of memories - knocked down, kept underwater - until I felt as though I could barely breathe; and then picked up again by a random wave and thrown back onto the shore, even more sad and lonely than I was before.

Give me a second chance, let me make it up to you…

She had called me just before that fateful day…

Do you have a minute? she whispered, her voice nervous and shaky.

I was busy, I said and promised to call her back….I never did find the time.

She died four days later.

If only I had called her back…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

when a heart breaks does it make a sound? perhaps no! but the feeling could flow through on a piece of paper. And this is a perfect example of it.
The kind of relationship you shared with her is amazing but it also shows that you hold yourself responsible for something that you have not done. You may have cried after she died. You may have thought you were a horrible person because you could not find time to call her, etc etc... Is it the feeling of guilt which is overpowering rather than losing a dear freind?
An amazing piece of work which I loved reading end to end.

Cheers,
likewise

Anonymous said...

I think you have touched a very important point which almost all of us can relate to. Its sad that someone as young as you had to realise this so soon in life but am sure it will go a long way since you will now hold dear every relationship that you had. I am sure that your well written piece will help many people to value what they have today!

Anonymous said...

i knew u write well,but so well..i didnt know!!your piece on ur relationship wid ur best friend was very touching.Its a beautiful piece of work.It teaches us how important each relationship is,be it with anyone and we must learn to value each one of them coz we dont know wot tomorrow has in store for us.I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely and moving piece. This article opens a window into the author’s heart. I can never imagine how to cope with loss of a dear one. No words can ever do justice to the heart wrenching loss a friend and missing out on that last chat. "If only..."

Anonymous said...

Great piece of work.

VV said...

Hi Shilpika,
This was really a great piece of work. I think this post is definitely proof of a great friendship and a true friend.
Keep on writing.